Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sweet Potato Spinach Curry


I love this curry. I've made it probably 30 times and it's my go-to for vegetarians (well, this and the pinto beans)... vegetarians who like spicy things. Let me go ahead and address your concerns: this is spicy, but you can tone it down just by reducing the red curry paste to a reasonable level, so be brave! It is also ridiculously easy to make. Really. You put things in a pot and you leave them there. The end.

Here. I'll show you.

First, dice an onion and mince some garlic (I used 3 cloves). Most of the things I cook start like this.


Next, put them in a deep pan with a bit of olive oil and saute 3-4 minutes. Add in a tablespoon of red curry paste (or less, if you want to tone it down) and blend.


Now we empty a can of coconut milk into the pan (I used light, regular obviously has a richer flavor, both work well), and add cubed, uncooked sweet potatoes. Give it a nice stir, then cover and leave for 15 or so minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked.


Pile a giant heap-o-spinach onto the sweet potato mix. Use more than you think you need, it wilts into a much smaller chunk than you think it will. Cover and let sit for about 5 min, or until spinach is wilted.


Told you it got really flat. This particular day when I made the curry, I happened to have some goat cheese around and melted probably an ounce of it into the curry. That was delicious, but entirely discretionary.


Mix it together, add salt or the like if you want, but I've honestly never needed to. Serve over rice.


Sweet Potato Spinach Curry

1 large sweet potato, cubed (you can use more if you want, I usually end up using about 1.5)
At least 3 cups of spinach
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can coconut milk (regular or light)
1.5 tsp - 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste (more paste = more spice)
Olive oil

1) Add olive oil, onions and garlic to a deep pan with a lid, saute for 3-5 minutes on med-high heat.

2) Blend in red curry paste.

3) Reduce heat to med-low or low, add coconut milk and sweet potatoes and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked. (If you want to add some goat cheese, this is a good time to do it).

4) Pile spinach on top of the curry, cover for 5 minutes and allow the spinach to wilt. Mix wilted spinach into the curry.

5) Serve hot over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment