Sunday, June 20, 2010

On dads and cheese


Today, we shall discuss two things: 1) How awesome my dad is and 2) a food he wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Yes, this is how I show him my love on Father's Day, I post a recipe he'd hate.

First, the good part: during the official Father's Day call this morning, Dad informed me that he made some changes to his traditional grilled chicken marinade inspired by one of my posts. I practically glowed I was so pleased. It's the little things.

Now, it is unfair to say that Dad doesn't appreciate a good pizza, he loves them... as long as there isn't a shred of cheese present. In fact, my house was impressively cheese-free (except for one Atkins burst inspired by my mother) for the first eighteen years of my life. As a result, I've come a little late to the cheese game and have been trying to sort out the sweet from the salty and the creamy from the hard and the goat from the cow from the sheep. Incidentally, I still can't handle bleu cheese and Snofrisk goat/cow cheese is happiness in a plastic container. In this attempt to catch up, I've started making a lot of cheese-related foods. I started with a fancy mac & cheese, moved on to bechamel sauces with whatever I had in reach melted in them, and now have started making my own pizzas. They. Are. Delicious. I even made one without cheese for Dad when I was home, because I'm nice sometimes.

This particular pizza is a nice balance between a spicy sausage and the sweetness of caramelized onions and peas, topped with fontina for the creamy, mild flavor. It's a little bit different from your average delivery, but not so far out that it would spark an outcry. Of course you can, and should, put anything you want on your pizza. In fact, the dough recipe I'm about to give you makes enough for not one, but two 10-14 inch pizzas. I popped the second dough ball in the freezer for round two (oh my, was that a pun?) later this week.

Enough talk, time to eat.


Pizza Dough
Enough for 2 10-14 inch pizzas.
3 cups flour
1 cup warm water
1 packet fast rising yeast (use only a 1/2 packet for a thin crust)
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp kosher salt

1) Mix water, yeast and olive oil. Add flour, then salt. Blend together until fully incorporated.

2) Remove the mix from the bowl and knead for a minimum of 4 minutes, and up to 10.

3) Grease bowl, return kneaded ball to bowl and cover. Leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour (should be 1.5x its original size).

4) Press into two crusts. Dough balls may also be frozen for future use.


Sweet and Savory Pizza

2-3 links of chorizo sausage
1 large onion (cut into half moons)
1/2 - 1 cup frozen peas
1-2 cups shredded fontina cheese
1 tbsp butter

1) Remove casing from chorizo, saute in a large pan, breaking up into small pieces, until cooked. Remove from the pan and sprinkle on the pizza crust, leaving the oil that cooked out in the pan.

2) Add the onions and the butter to the pan with the oil, cook until soft and lightly browned. Remove from pan and sprinkle on top of chorizo.

3) Add peas, then top with cheese.

4) Ideally on a pizza stone, but a cookie sheet will suffice, cook at 475 for 14-17 minutes.

1 comment: