Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bookends: Desserts


So, the other evening I saw "Despicable Me." It was cute and charming and has the best theme song if you happen to be a smidge cranky. The chorus is brilliant. Here, take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lJRTeCMvGc

Now, when one is in such a mood, what is the proper response? Dessert! Yes, I'm cliche today, just acknowledge it and we'll move on. At my little dinner party with the ricotta pillows, I stole yet another Southern Living recipe for the desserts, with a few small modifications.

Original Recipe: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1990016

My changes were simple. First, I didn't have time to make the little pie crust cups, so I used store bought frozen pastry cups. Secondly, I did not use baking bars, but rather a couple of bars of dark chocolate because that's what I had in the house and I'm a firm believer that dark chocolate makes everything better. To make up for these forays into laziness, I did at least make the whipped cream myself with the whipping cream left over. I just threw in a completely blind guess worth of splenda and vanilla and whipped it by hand until it looked pretty and tasted amazing. I find that the vanilla addition to the whipped cream compliments the dark chocolate especially well.

And now you have an extremely simple crowd pleaser for your next dinner party. Added bonus: no tell-tale fork marks if you ate one before the guests arrived...

No comments:

Post a Comment