Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bit of a risotto kick


First of all, allow me to freely admit that this is a fall recipe and it is wholly inappropriate that I made it in the middle of 85+ degree heat. Fortunately for me, a happy stomach knows no season. I made the (delightful) mistake of buying a lot more arborio rice than I could possibly use in one recipe. This has resulted in me making risotto at least four times in the last month.

I am reasonably sure this is not normal.

Since I do not want to deluge you with bits of my current obsession, I will discuss one today and leave the rest until I make one of them again far enough in the future that I do not run the risk of being a one trick pony. This is a butternut squash rosemary risotto. It. is. delicious. It's creamy, rich, flavorful and will be perfect when the fall comes around and people other than me start making these sorts of dishes. Even more importantly, however, I was able to hide the onions in it from my roommate (who thinks she doesn't like them) and even she inhaled it. And one more thing! I put the leftovers in the refrigerator and ate them the next day, even microwaved them, and they held up! Risotto is known for its inability to abide waiting or storage.

In short, I was thrilled and you will be too .

Butternut Squash Risotto
1 small butternut squash (depending on the squash, you may only use half)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cup arborio rice
2 tablespoons rosemary (you can use sage instead for a different flavor)
1 tablespoon thyme
1/2 cup white wine
4-6 cups chicken stock, warmed (you want the rice to be able to absorb it)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

1) Peel squash with vegetable peeler. Cut squash in half, vertically, and scoop out seeds. Cut squash into 1 inch cubes and place on foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Bake at 350 degrees until tender, about 30 minutes, but you want it to caramelize a bit, so don't be afraid to let it sit longer.

2) While the squash is roasting, start risotto. In a medium size pot, add olive oil and chopped onion. Saute onion until a little soft, then add garlic and saute another minute.

3) Add rice and toast the rice, stirring for about 2-3 minutes. Add herbs and stir.

4) Add wine and let simmer for a couple of minutes, until absorbed. Start adding stock around 1/2-2/3 of a cup at a time (or just a big ladle). Stir the risotto and simmer uncovered (still stirring sometimes) until liquid is mostly absorbed. Repeat, adding stock in batches until risotto is creamy (25-30 min).

5) Turn off heat and add cheese and roasted squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment