Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chicken Tetrazzini?

This is my baby (One day I will have the full set and, on that day, I will become invincible... in the kitchen... or something):
And I get to make things like this in it:
Tasty looking, no?

Southern Living has a section called "Mama's Way or Your Way," and last month that featured chicken tetrazzini. Usually I side with the "Mama's Way" side of things, butter and all (yes, I exercise a lot to make up for these decisions). This time, however, some of the changes in the "Your Way" portion appealed to me. Still, the thought of bottled alfredo sauce is quite upsetting to me. So, my brilliant answer to this problem is to combine the two. I've used the mornay sauce from the original, but tossed in the peas, mushrooms and some pancetta (instead of prosciutto)from the modern choice. The reason for the "?" in the title is simply that I'm not sure it still counts as tetrazzini after all of these changes, but we're going to pretend that it does.

I frequently combine bits of separate recipes to make one delicious dish, though it's rarely quite so convenient as two opposite pages dealing with the exact same food. If you're wary when it comes to trying to piece together a (yummy) Frankenstein (well, technically the monster) recipe, this is probably a good way to start. After you've worked on a few this way, you'll start feeling a lot more comfortable taking a hatchet to all sorts of recipes.

On to super secret option C.

Middle Way Chicken Tetrazzini

8oz package vermicelli (or thin spaghetti)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup grated parmesean cheese
3 cups diced, cooked chicken
1 6-oz jar sliced mushrooms
4 oz chopped pancetta
1 cup frozen baby peas

1) Cook pasta according to directions.

2) Sauté pancetta and mushrooms in oil in a dutch oven (or a skillet) over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes. You want the pancetta and mushrooms to brown a bit. I tossed the peas in at the end to flavor and thaw them. Set aside in a dish.

3) Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk and wine; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add and melt parmesan cheese.

4) Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, pancetta, peas, mushrooms, and pasta.

5) Be lazy like me, don't spoon the mixture into a pan! Put the dutch oven straight in the oven and cook at 350 for about 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment