Sunday, September 12, 2010

On rainy days and split pea soup


When I was a little girl, my mother found this weird powdered vegetable soup at Sam's Club and brought it home for my sister and I to be able to make as a snack. I was completely obsessed with this soup. It was thick and smooth (It was powdered after all, chunks would have been creepy) and was exactly what I wanted on rainy days. My sister did not share this passion, but that was fine, more for me! One day it stopped appearing at the house and I've never seen it since. My tiny heart broke.

Years later, I still revel in the idea of a thick green soup on overcast days.

This morning was one of those where, though you get out of bed at a perfectly reasonable hour, it's debatable whether you ever actually wake up. The apartment was dark thanks to a few drizzling cumulus beasts and I absolutely had to have soup. Of course, I didn't have what I needed in the apartment. Again. Blast! Off to the store I trudged to pick up some split peas and diced ham... and while I was there a few other tasty treats, but that's neither here nor there.

And now I have a delicious, non-powdered, split pea soup to get me through my sleepwalking day.

Oh? You want to know how to make it? Ok then.

Rainy Day Split Pea Soup

8 cups liquid (any combination of broth and water you choose. I had 2 cups chicken broth around, so I used them and 6 cups of water)
2 cups dry split green peas
1 cup carrot, diced
2 med. onions, diced
1 12-oz package diced ham
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste

1)Add peas and water to a pot, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about an hour.

2) It is completely unnecessary to do so, but I quickly sauteed the ham, onions, and carrot before adding them to the soup. Bring the peas and water back to a boil and add ham, carrots, onion, thyme, salt & pepper.

3) Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for an hour to an hour and a half.

4) At this point you may serve it as is or puree the soup in batches to create a smoother texture. If the soup is too think, just add a bit more stock or water.

Simple, tasty, healthy and perfect for days when you just don't want to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment