Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Savory Snacks: Fancy Carbs (Soft Pretzels!)


If you aren't a carb person, I really just don't know what to do with you. Seriously. It's not that I don't want to understand it's that I quite simply can't. I love veggies and sometimes I get pretty strong meat cravings, but in my heart of hearts, I'm all about bread. For example, when I was in law school I managed to procure a free mini-loaf bread maker (thank you, LexisNexis) and for the next several days, I was in rapture. I made honey-oatmeal bread, tomato-basil bread, garlic bread (many times), and pretty much anything else you can think of (aside from sourdough, as I did not have a starter lying around). It was heaven.

One problem: I would eat the entire mini-loaf in a sitting. I would take it out of the bread maker, steam still rising from it, and inhale it with balsamic vinegar. Invariably I would get halfway through and think to myself "I should stop now and save the other half, but I'm still hungry." Then I would get three quarters of the way through and think "Soooooooooo full, but the last quarter isn't enough to save." The result of this dance being me in the fetal position on the couch for an hour alternating between "oh god so full" and "but it was so goooooooooood."

You didn't need to know that. I'm sorry, but here are bread-like items for your digestive delight! Does that make up for it? I hope so.

First, I took the rest of the puff pastry dough and covered it in cheese that I had lying around the house (gruyere, fontina, parmesean), then baked it up into little cheese bites. Secondly, I made my personal contribution to all parties involving alcohol (especially beer): soft pretzel bites. Yes, you can make mall-kiosk-style pretzels at home and they are delectable. It takes time because you have to let the dough rise a few times, but it's completely worth it and the actual hands-on time is reasonable. Bonus: your friends will be really really impressed.


Soft Pretzels

Dough:
1 package (.25 oz.) active dry yeast
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour

Dip:
2 cups warm water
2 tbsp baking soda

Glaze:
2 tbsp butter, melted (or however buttery you want it to be... probably more)
1-2 tbsp coarse kosher salt or cinnamon sugar


1. In a large mixing bowl, add yeast, brown sugar and salt. Test water temperature with thermometer. When it reads 110 degrees (think hot shower), add to bowl. Stir to dissolve. Add both types of flour and stir well.

2. Place dough on floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. (To knead dough, press down on dough with your palm, fold the dough over and rotate 1/4 turn, repeat until dough is ready.)

3. Grease a large bowl. Place dough in bowl then turn dough upside down to coat the surface. Cover with a towel and let rise for one hour in a warm spot.

4. Combine 2 cups warm water (test again for 110 degrees) and baking soda in an 8-inch square pan. After the dough has risen, divide it into 12 pieces.

5. Roll each piece into a 1 1/2-foot rope, 1/2-inch wide. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Place on cookie sheets and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.

6. Bake at 450°F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and then sprinkle with coarse salt or cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment